I can’t believe it’s been so long since I’ve last posted! This summer has been quite a journey and I sadly haven’t been able to devote time to OMC. However, I’m excited to now be back and blogging! I’m kicking off my return to OMC with a classic fall staple – pumpkin spice.
I first made these pumpkin spice cupcakes for a rehearsal dinner last week. I haven’t had time to bake in awhile so I loved settling into my kitchen and cranking on the oven again. The smell of cinnamon and nutmeg filled my kitchen and I immediately decided I was over summer and ready to embrace plaid n’ booties weather. 😛
This pumpkin spice cupcake recipe is a combination of a few recipes – a little bit from Dear Crissy for the great spice flavor and a bit from Nina Hendrick for the moist cake bake. I really love how fluffy and light these cupcakes turned out!
SPICED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
The topping on these pumpkin spice cupcakes is a classic cream cheese frosting with a little cinnamon kick. The creamy frosting is the perfect pairing with the pumpkin spice cake. I am probably bias because cream cheese frosting is my favorite. Though, I find most recipes out there to be far, far too sweet. I’ve come to realize that the best way to make cream cheese frosting is the taste and test method. Use half a cup of powder sugar at a time and taste it as you go until you get to your optimal sweetness level. Please don’t pour half a bag in at the get go – I’ve seen the recipes…😬
These pumpkin spice cupcakes actually keep really well! As a general rule, don’t leave cupcakes out on the counter for more than two days and a week in the fridge is probably max. I kept these in the fridge for a week – 4 days in an airtight container and then 3 days just sitting on a plate. However, even though it’ been past a week, there are two still left in my fridge and you know what, I am absolutely planning to eat one tomorrow!
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 can (15oz) pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature/softened
- 3 large eggs
CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 2 8oz packages of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature/softened
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two cupcake tins with liners and set aside.
- Mix in a medium bowl: flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice, ground ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Combine the pumpkin puree, milk, and vanilla extra in another bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the two sugars and butter together with a stand mixer or hand mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly.
- Mix in the flour mixture and pumpkin puree mixture, alternating between the two until all is combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner to 2/3 full – about two scoops each if using a small cookie scoop.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool competely on a cooling rack before frosting!
CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Next, add the confectioner’s sugar, half cup at a time. Mix thoroughly between each addition and taste test until desired sweetness. Add more if needed. Mix in the salt.
- Mix in 1 Tbsp milk to thin out mixture. Add another Tbsp if needed. Frosting should be still enough to make peaks but easy enough to pipe.
- Beat in cinnamon.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes. Add more cinnamon to garnish or sprinkles for flair!
Hope you’re getting into the fall spirit. Don’t fight it, just lean into pumpkin spice season!